Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can IDW'S be redirected? SAVE MY WORK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmox

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2002
I created a project with 76 parts, 5 assemblies. I created drawings for all. I numbered the drawings with logical numbering system but, then found out that this company wants a different numbering methodology.
Although I haven't used it before, I was able to change the names of the assemblies and parts to suit in design assistant (managing files). I double-checked my work opening part models and assemblies and all worked well.
This morning i came in and changed the names of all the drawing files to suit the new arrangement in windows explorer figuring at most i would have to point out the new file name to the drawing (at the same time wondering why design assistant had not updated the drawings as well ). Not so, the drawing states that it can't open because it can't find the (old name) file, but, doesn't give me the option to point out the new name/location.
Does anyone have a way to update the drawing without changing all the part file names back? None of the data has changed, just a hyphen and a couple of digits in the file name.
When you change the part name in design assistant, the assembly file that references that part is updated. Why wouldn't the drawing file that references the same part be updated?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would still like to know why D.A. didn't update the drawings or give me the option.................but, i just needed to change the project file setting to access the part for each drawing.
I did have to open each file, point to the part, and save with the new name.

I have managed to avoid D.A. so I'm not much help.

The Vault gives you a lot more options, and seems to work much better for things like this....I think D.A. is going to fade into the sunset with the next couple releases.

Hi, did you open design assistant by way of the .idw or the .iam? You need to start DA at the lowest level .idw's and work up. I'll assume you want to rename everything but the best method (I've used) is to rename only the .ipt's. In the same DA session you copy the sub-assembly (.iam) and, because it won't let you do otherwise, the drawing (.idw). The error message you get when you save is because you're renaming parts and the original .idw you opened can't find the old part. Just select continue and finish all the lowest .idw's like this. Next, you need to open the next highest assembly and replace any old sub-assemblies with the newly named copies. All constraints should remain because they are exact copies. You should not do any edits during this process. Save the assemblies and restart DA as you did on the lower .idw's and contiue renaming parts until you're finished. Design assistant is powerful and it takes a bit of planning but you can acheive a full rename as long as you adhere to a few guidelines.

If anyone can describe a faster way, I'm like to read about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back