Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can LPile be used for HSS concrete filled, or composite column design above grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelTubes

Structural
Apr 21, 2024
US
I am putting together a reference guide for design of concrete filled HSS and have many articles and design manual references, however I would like to include software recommendations if software exists that is capable of concrete filled/composite HSS design. LPile was recommended for this purpose elsewhere, however I have never used LPile, and I do not design foundations. I am wondering if LPile is versatile enough to also be used for design of concrete filled HSS columns, above grade. I have only briefly read some of the information available on LPile's website. From as much as I can see, it probably does not include HSS sections, nor ASTM A500 steel, and it's not exactly meant to be utilized for anything other than piles, but just wondering what you all think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, for one, please stop deleting and reposting your thread because you don't like my reply.

For two, original reply:
LPile is designed for the complex case of columns being embedded into various stratum of variable stiffness that are loaded laterally. Very difficult to do with hand calculations. If you have something 100% above grade there is literally zero reason to use LPile.

Not to be harsh but if you actually read LPile's website and have ever done this type of design you wouldn't be asking this question, so in that case why are you recommending anything to someone who is?

@lexeng18 I deleted the prior thread (once) because your response is odd and unnecessarily negative. The second paragraph, "not to be harsh" serves no purpose. However, because you insist on posting it again, I will leave it for now.

Awesome, thank you very much, @Retrograde. I went to the link you sent, and they also had a video summarizing their composite column design capabilities, and it looks promising. I'll check out the free trial.

LPile should be used for pile foundations and not modeling columns connected to a foundation.

It can model pipe pile sections filled with concrete but, based on memory, I don’t think it can do square HSS sections. You may be able to do a custom pile stiffness model to match a HSS section loaded in a specific direction though.

I also haven’t modeled a small diameter pile in LPile (a couple of inches). I’m not sure if it has a lower limit of a pile size.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back