Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can MS Project do this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

juststo

Materials
Jul 26, 2004
US
I run a wood working manufacturing company. I am having difficulty getting Project to do what I need. Here is my example.

I need to cut 400 boards. I have a saw (resource) that can cut 10 boards an hour. I want to be able to put in this rate and have Project tell me that this task will take 40 hrs to complete. Or if I have a deadline of 20 hrs, that I need to employ a second saw to meet my deadline. Can this be done with Project?

Please help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could I solve this problem in Excel and then import it into Project? I'm using the demo now and want to know if I should buy.

What exactly are the strengths of project? I have looked at other forums and there are questions like mine. It seems reasonable to have your scheduling software calculate work time. Any thoughts?

Off-hand, I'd have to say that I don't think that Project is a good fit for your application. Project is geared more towards human resource and relatively large projects.

Yours strikes me more as a large number of small projects, mostly serial time at that.

An enterprise resource planning (ERP) program or other manufacturing scheduling program would seem to be more appropriate.

TTFN

I agree that MS Project is more useful for larger Projects.

But you can also manage a wood working manufacturing company. With MS Project you can allocate your human resources and your machines. Calculate Orders and so on.

If you need an example how to solve your problem please give me a short notice (aussenalster@gmx.com)

Greetings from Germany
Stephan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back