Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

(can of worms alert) Globe hasn't warmed in the last 16 years 76

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought the number was 37.11236789% (in my experience whole numbers indicate confidence, outrageous irrational numbers indicate an intent to deceive).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln.

Anyway, today I learned that the Economist and CATO don't understand the difference between transient and steady state.

Something has just triped my BS meter.

1. Anything with Abraham Lincoln and the internet needs to be explaned, as this is not in the range of common belief.

2. You are implying transient and steady state terms to the climate, which implies some cyclical function. I would believe dozens of cycles, or more than most science guys can deal with, or more of a sudo random, or random function.

But I agree many news and commentary groups don't know much about science, or math.

I suspect that you made that comment based on the belief that Al Gore once claimed that "He invented the Internet", eh?

Well, I'm sorry to tell you that he NEVER made that claim, despite what you may have heard on Faux News:

But in the end, Al got the last laugh on the political pundits when in 2005 we was awarded a 'Webby' (the Internet industry's equivalent of an Oscar or Emmy) for "Lifetime Achievement, in recognition of (his) pivotal role in the Internet over the last three decades" and which was presented to him by one of the ACTUAL 'inventors' of the Internet, Vint Cerf.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm not a lover of Snopes.com, but they had a direct quote from Al Gore with references to where he said it and what the context was. Exceptionally thorough for Snopes.com. In that quote, Al Gore said:
Al Gore said:
I took the initiative in creating the Internet

I took the initiative in creating a couple of things that the USPO says I "invented". I don't think that Al Gore is poorly served by someone taking that quote and saying that he claims to have invented the Internet. It is only the liberal fan club called Snopes.com that would take the quote and say that the claim was "FALSE".

I don't know anything about Salon.com, but reading the article, they didn't say much in a lot of words. I'm going to step out on a limb and suggest that that site is also part of the liberal cheer leading squad.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.

For an organization explicitly in favor of an ideology, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. For an organization purportedly reporting the news I have a big problem. My TV has Fox News (along with CNN and MSNBC) blocked. I can't stand any of them claiming to be "fair and balanced" and then cheer leading for one side of the discussion. I'd block the networks too, but I watch some of the non-"news" crap on them.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Why did the name Al Gore and the internet spark so much conversation, and the rest of what said did not? Why are we wasting more than a swipe at the fat, energy wasting millionare?
Yea I know he wastes energy it has been documented, but he buys carbon credits from poor people in other countries, who he trusts to keep the trees alive (I seem to have a problem with other countries, and trust, but only on long term things).

Has anyone noticed the return in CNG vehicles?

If you recall, I didn't equate it to the Nobel, but rather the Oscar's and Emmy's, so I guess there was a basis for your opinion of the 'Webbies' after all ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hay Goverment Motors is lowering the price of the Volt.

Which reminds me that a few months ago I heard of making refilling CNG vehicles at home possible, which is a new type of plug in your car.

"Which reminds me that a few months ago I heard of making refilling CNG vehicles at home possible"

Honda worked on that a while back and I think spun it off to so it's not exactly new news and I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here before. I recall Zdas having concerns over CNG fueled vehicles the various times I've brought it up.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Interesting, the dedicated home appliance uses 3.2 kWh of electricity (on a 240V circuit) to put 50 miles worth of CNG in the car, taking 4 hours to do so.

Fuels even slower than electric vehicles!

There are reasons achieving 3000+ psig gas pressures has been primarily an industrial, rather than a residential, process:)

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back