Can PA66+GF30 be the thermal bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisL

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2023
HK
Hi all,
There is a project of thermal bottle and customer wanted to use plastic instead of metal or glass for some special functions. The original material is Tritan but it cracks after a drop test so that they want to change the material.
Considering PPSU and PESU are expensive, our engineer suggested PA66+GF30.
Reviewed the material spec., PA66+GF30 maybe good enough to contain hot water (in car) but it is hygroscopic (absorb water) and I've never seen it to be used as water bottle.
Do anyone know if this kind of material is suitable for hot drinking water? Is it a suitable material or any other plastic can be suggested?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PA66+GF30 is generally suitable for continuous use at temperatures up to 120-150°C (250-300°F). While PA66+GF30 is generally considered to have good chemical resistance, you’re obviously going to need to test its long-term performance and response to contact with water (of all temperatures). I guess you will need to do some fairly extensive testing if the reason you want to use PA66+GF30 is due to cost. Getting it wrong could be a much costlier exercise!

Thanks MarkMac70!
Your answer is useful for me. I think we should start to think about any testing about food contact.

I don't think there is any GFPA6.6 approved for drinking water/food use.

Have a look at POM (aka acetal)

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back