Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can plumbing be placed within a structural element?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDIengineer

Structural
Jun 12, 2013
US
I recall something in the building code (plumbing code) that does not allow any plumbing to be placed within a wall, or column.. Plumbing can pass through the element with a sleeve or something but it shouldn't be cast directly with the element?

Anyone have any code experience on this topic? The designer wants to run a roof drain right down the center of a concrete column that has been oversized due to some cantilever action so I am not concerned with the loss in capacity for axial or flexure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure where you are, but that is fairly commonly done in Australia. The difficulties are in getting the pipe in at the top and out at the bottom. Make sure those details are thought out and defined before you allow it to happen.

ACI 318 has guidance in Chapter 6 about casting conduit and piping through structural concrete.
I think the main problem is getting the different crafts (plumbers, rodbusters, etc.) to play nice with each other.

Is freezing not a concern? I could see a drain end up getting clogged somewhere and freezing being an issue (eg a lambs-tongue at the face of an exterior column/pilaster getting clogged)... but i suppose this only depends on climate and location of the column in question.

How much does it rain? Long term water flow tends to do things to concrete surfaces.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

We recently observed galvanized tube columns that were actually used as plumbing for roof drainage.
It was a really bad idea as most of them were bulging and some split open due to freezing action.
Many also had wet organic debris piled up in the bases creating a continued environment for corrosion. Galvanizing eventually gives away.
Again, a bad idea.

Thank you for the input. The project is located in California and freezing is not an issue. It would be drainage for a high roof of a stadium were there will not be any trees or possible leaf debris just dust.

Very common in AU, Happens on 90% of my projects.

However as the Structural Engineer you end up becoming the diplomat between the Plumber, Reo fixer and PT Installer, Hydraulic consultant and builder.

All part of the fun game we play. [bigsmile]

"Structural Engineering is the Art of moulding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to withstand forces we cannot really assess, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. Dykes, 1976

You often see this in gas station canopies.

But you see a lot of gas station canopy failures, too, so maybe they're not the best example.

The OP talked about taking a pipe down through a concrete column, and where freezing is not an issue. Done correctly with entry and exit details worked out, that is doable. With steel columns, it is asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back