Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can RAM Structural System model flat slab directly (without spandral)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpliu

Civil/Environmental
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi all,

I have a 5-story parking garage, use flat slab to reduce story height.

I know RAM Concept can analyze flat slab from the framing result of RAM Structual System. But I have a question: Can Ram Structural System model 5-story flat slab without any beam? Because to my experience, RAM must perform beam analysis first to get the results.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That means RAM Structural System can't model Building of flat slabs? Then the only suitable program is ETABS?

Thanks.

RAM can do this, but you have to add dummy beams. I've never done a flat plate structure, but did attend a RAM seminar on this about 2 years ago. I can't say I remember much from it other than it is possible. I recall a lot of references to RAM Concept, but I don't remember if that was specifically for PT or if it was for flat plate as well.

No, RAM Str. System has no slab elements. You will have to calculate effective slab width and then input them as beams. You will need beams in both directions to replicate a flat slab.

ETABS is great analysis package but I feel it is a little weak when it comes to production. There is a lot of output that one needs to post process.

RAM, on the other hand, is more production oriented. However, it has its own limitations.

I have used RAM Advanse for this problem, modeling the slabs using shell elements. Now, this has its own limitations, because it is difficult to reduce the stiffness of the shells for cracked section properties of the slab(as required for drift calcs and PDelta analysis). The only way is by reducing the thickness of the shells, which in turn affects the column moments for gravity loadings......Another problem is obtaining the moments due to lateral loads to be used for slab design.
Now, I´m not familiar with RAM SS, nor the most recent versions of ETABS. How does ETABS handle this?
The most efficient way I have so far of doing it with my software is by using equivalent beams, as stated above. It is also computationally faster than using shell elements.
This is a very interesting subject, and your opinions would illustrate us all. I´ve had many discussions on the subject with my local peers, and all seem to have their prefered way of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back