Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Solidworks do this kind of surfacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcanelli

Industrial
Nov 30, 2007
US
I cannot make this shape in solidedge and am trying to find a program that can. I think it needs to be made from surfaces first before being thickened to a solid. Hopefully my image will be attached where you can see the problem of how to make the pattern of curved grooves on the periphery of the wavy plate and how to blend them to the wavy plate. I am trying to get an idea on whether solidworks can even do this before I spend time trying it in a demo. I think Rhino can do this kind of surface blending but then I would have to import it and could not make parametric changes in the assembly. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is quite simple to do in solidworks using the revolve tool to create the wave plate then sweep cut the groove and then do a circular pattern.

I would actaully model it as a solid (not a surface) and then shell it out.

Vulcanelli,

Can't really see your image to well - its small and grainy. Regardless, in my experience as long as a shape can physically exist it can be modelled in SolidWorks. It often comes down to technique in acheiving the desired shape. Surface creation techniques allows you to more manually construct geometry one surface at a time if need be. Solid techniques are actually building surfaces for you in the background and often give you less control over the mulitple surfaces that are create automatically. This is true of any the SolidWorks/SolidEdge/Inventor/ProE/Alibre modelers.

Pete

This is well within the bounds of SW's capability for one skilled in the art. It may not even necessarily have to be a surfaced model. I would venture to say the same is true for SE.

Whether surface modelling is required or not would mostly depend on the details of the geometry of the ridges around the outside diameter.

Lots of "hired guns" in the SW world could do this. Perhaps you can find the same to help you in SE-world.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Thank for the feedback. I am encouraged but I'm not sure you guys understand how complex this is. I apologize for the poor quality image as its hard to really see what I am talking about. The peripheral grooves are not a cut into the metal wavy plate they need to be formed, that is they are part of and have the same thickness as the wavy plate.
Here is an Solid Edge screen shot of what I have done.
1.revolve wavy plate as surface
2.sketch peripheral curve and extrude as surface.
3.derive path from intersection of surfaces 1 & 2
4.place plane normal to path
5.sketch peripheral curve profile on plane
This is where I am stuck.How to make the peripheral curve surface and combine it in the wavy plate then pattern it around the edge so all the waves combine to make one continuous form.

I am not expecting anyone to tell me how to do this only if it can be done. Thanks.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ad32e39f-5201-4bbe-b063-da8675d0c8f6&file=wavy-plate-periferal-curve.jpg
I can't really comment too much on the construction of the geometry without looking at it closer. I think the folks that posted do understand how complex geometry can get and how it could be modeled. Some of the folks who posted do this type of work for a living. I would bet that these types of features/techniques could be used... Patterning, Mirroring, Multibodies, Intersection curves, sweeps, lofts, boundary surfaces, freeform surfaces, surface fills, 3D sketches, splines, composite curves... These of course are all names of feature types and techniques in SolidWorks and would be called something different in SolidEdge - but as others have said I bet that its capable of doing this. Your best bet as others have stated may be to use a "hired gun". Don't know much more to tell you other than that.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to show in the second image. But the way I am reading it, the two images do not match. The first image shows the outer radial indents in their own curved surface. Why are you trying to create them on the circular wave form surface?

[cheers]

Short answer - yes it can be done.

One recommendation I would make is to work on one side of your material only. Either work completely in surfaces and thicken at the end or start with your revolve being way thicker than it needs to be and cutting/adding material as needed to generate your complete top surface. Thicken to get a part of uniform thickness.

You can do it by starting with the revolved solid but you'll devote a lot of effort to maintaining the correct thickness throughout the development of the model.

Vulcanelli,

The wavy portion of the plate should be modeled as a revolved solid as JCRoberts first stated. I think what has everyone confused is the detail for the outer edge. It appears to be crimped feature with a non-radial pattern to it (correct?). This could be done with a sweep to form the crimp ridge and then a circular pattern around the rest of the part. Two features and one pattern - and parametric solids rather than surfaces. Not bad at all really.

- - -Updraft

Thanks again for more suggestions, but I can see from some of the responses it I am not communicating what I am looking to do very effectively. I think I will sculpt the peripheral portion of this in clay, take a photo and then come back to this thread.

I am on V20 of Solid Edge and have to allow I don't know everything about surfacing so it may be that SE can do this. I should probably post to the SE forum as well. Guess its just reflex to blame the software when you cant do something.

Why don't you post your question in the SE forums? forum562

I'm thinking in SW, a wave profile revolved as a solid, then add your edge ridge as a separate solid body, followed with the Indent tool. Once this feature is created, a revolved pattern should get you there.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Why do you keep insisting to do it as a surface?

I don't know SE, but I would be willing to bet you can do this as a solid just like you can in SW.

Using surfacing in SW is more complex then just solids and would use up more memory... Use the KISS Theory... its much easier!!!

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I did this in 5 minutes... from what I could gather from you're photograph

I can't seem to make out if the edge is straight but it shows that its more than capable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back