Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone please answer the thread256-448758 as OP asked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipit

Structural
Jun 1, 2022
US
As for as I understand, OP in thread256-448758 was right that we shouldn't include the weight of soil above the footing if we check against net bearing capacity. However, everyone answered to include the weight of soil above footing which isn't exactly correct.

Could someone please answer this question about the moment, eccentricity, and bearing pressure for bearing design?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

snipit - You are looking for an answer to apply to all situations, few exist in engineering. Dealing with that is a large part of our jobs.

Based on your question, I will give you three specific examples why there are few absolute answers. In these examples, the "answer" will be different in each case, there could be variations on those answers, and all answers could be correct (at least correct enough).

1) Retaining wall is constructed on "high" ground, with excavation in front of it:

Cantilever_Retaining_Wall-Excavation_jh4tam.png

2) Retaining wall is constructed on "low" ground, with backfill behind it:

Cantilever_Retaining_Wall-Backfill_eaqcux.png

3) Where I worked, water table is at or just below ground level. I had to account for uplift from buoyancy:

Cantilever_Retaining_Wall-Buoyancy_c0i7mb.png

We answered the OP's question as best we could, and he didn't ask for clarification or disagree. Since it's been 4 years, I think it's a little late to be concerned about it.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back