Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can the moment of inertia be defined elsewhere for shell element?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janna06

Structural
Sep 1, 2006
GB
I need to do analysis with different moments of inertia without changing the area of the parts. What shall I do?

Thanks

Janna

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Moment of Inertias aren't defined for shells any where, only the thickess is defined as a shell property. If you're referring to beam elements, then that's a different matter.

corus

Cheers. But could the input of "section stiffness matrix" under "shell section" serve my purpose?

I know the beam and frame el can do this. Maybe I can add extra beam on the shell to get this...but doesn't it sound more complicated.

I don't see section stiffness matrix anywhere unless you are creating your own user element.

If you alter the moment of inertia of a shell without changing the area then you must alter the shell thickness as well as the width. In that case you are then altering the shape of the model.

If on the other hand you add beams to the shells then I can not see how you are modelling the part physically correct. In finite elements you should expect to get a reasonable model of the geometry. I don't think what you are attempting will in any way be a proper representation of the real thing.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back