Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can the plane Orientation be changed on an existing part? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDKevin

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2011
US
Hi all,

I have an imported part with incorrect orientation. The right side of the part is on the front plane. Is there a way to change the orientations?

I think i can do it in the import manager but i was also wondering if i could do this to parts that I started on the wrong plane without thinking.

-Kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes you can. You have to open the view orientation menu (hit spacebar) Place the view to have the face view in front of you and select "Face" on the orientation window then hit the second button from the top left "Update standard view" this should place the correct orientation the way you want it.

Remember that if you do this on a part with existing drawings views they will get reoriented as well.

Hope it helps

Patrick

Thats pretty cool. It only changes the names of the views though right? The Front plane remains the same.

I was wondering if there was a quick way to have everything shift to a new orientation. In my example the sketches and entities on the front plan would go to the right plane and so on. i know I can change the sketch planes one by one, but that would be slow and require a bunch of small fixes through out the part.

Delete, or better, suppress, all the existing mates and redo them the way you want. If there are no mates then the part is(f)ixed and you must float it first.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

If you were to change the sketch planes of child features to planar faces of parent features, that would be a step in the right direction. However, any horizontal or vertical relationships, at the very least, would probably get toasted once you were to change the sketch plane of the first feature. In the end, probably not worth the time involved as compared to following Patrick's original response.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

1) Open the imported part
2) Create a UCS at the point where you want the Origin to be, and orient the axes to suit
3) Save as a parasolid using the Options to save the new UCS as the Output Coordinate System
4) Open the parasolid and the UCS will have been adopted as the default global origin

CorBlimeyLimey, that is a great tip. Often I import from Mcmaster, etc., and the orientation is awkward. If I create some default import parts as you describe, with the ucs where I want it, that will fix that problem.
"tip o' the hat to you"

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back