Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can two VFD's run in parallel 4

edison123

Electrical
Oct 23, 2002
IN
For no-load open shaft testing various motors ranging from 50 HP to 1500 HP with maximum no-load current of 500 Amps at 415 V, 50 HZ, I am planning for to go for VFD.

If I buy two identical 250 Amps drives, can I parallel them on the output side for 500 Amps? This gives me an option of using them singly also up to 250 Amps as well as one to one standby, if one buggers off.

What do you drive gurus think?

Muthu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never ever heard of it before.

Sounds like an easy way to write off two VFD units to me.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Not heard of it with VFDs. It's possible with certain types of AC inverters provided that they are interconnected as prescribed by the manufacturer so that their output phases are synchronised. Phase mismatch will cause something to go bang.

It is done with inverter type generators, which require a control cable connection.
Variable Speed Drives are not as far as I am aware built with that capability (at least as a standard product).

There are a few drive manufacturers that will provide drives with modified programs, as a custom product, so that possibly your requirements (or at least most of them) can be met.

There are VFDs that allow to add power modules to increase output power, but use same DCbus and sure, all module receive same control signals.

Separate VFDs may work in parallel if was designed for that and use a dedicated communication link for synch, load sharing and response to commands/faults.
I think may be problems (circulating currents) if VFDs use separate input source that are not close in impedance.

Parallel inverters are frequently done now for large drive applications, but not in the field. The inverters must be designed for that from the outset, typically using fiber optics for the firing controls to minimize latency in synchronizing the outputs. Most stand-alone single inverter drives do not have that capability.

There are drives DESIGNED for this kind of application, often referred to as having an "N-1" or "N-2" redundancy capability, meaning if you have two or three parallel inverter modules, the loss of one module will reduce the capacity of the drive. You can do it on purpose as well (if it has that feature).

As a general rule however, if you had, for example, a 1500HP drive with two parallel inverters, you can run a 750HP motor from one side, and most drives can effectively operate a motor down to 1/2 of the rating. So now you can get down to 350HP as the smallest motor. But since you are only going to be using this for testing, that rule may be less relevant, so long as you limit your use to V/Hz control

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Back