Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we burn HFO sludge residues? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MineAutomat

Electrical
Jun 20, 2003
SR
Good day,

I am leading a project which will convert our existing power plant from running on diesel fuel to run on heavy fuel oil. Hence, we will install a complete HFO treatment plant.

There is a bauxite plant operation near our power station that also burn HFO in their kilns.

I am curious to know if they would be able to burn the HFO sludge we will produce from our HFO treatment ? I have read about certain operations that burn their waste oils... it got me thinking about our sludge.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Sophie Dufresne

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sophie,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Ironically, I have been away evaluating a plant which has converted to gas (owner questioning post-conversion performance).

I can certainly give you general advice, and would be happy to do so (that's why we're all here!).
By the way, most if not all conversions are usually successful and trouble free - I hope I haven't made you think otherwise.

To keep things 'professional' it's probably also worth mentioning that I don't make/sell equipment etc. so I'm not biased in any way (independent consultant) :)

Good articles to read JMW, I subscribed to a few bunker wesites as well. The CIMAC group will issue in april their revised recommendation for fuel treatment plant design.

However, I think I may be 'over reacting'... as I am sitting with our engine manufacturers and go through our fuel specs, they really do not see issues with it. Although we have a thick fuel (700cSt) the other parameters are 'not an issue' according to them. They were quite relaxed and not concerned at all about it, since they have great experience in this field, I trust their call and recommendation. Nevertheless, I will continue to follow the subject closely.

Taylorg, how do you "evaluate a plant", as stated above? Right now, we have pulled all our operational data, the current costs, the quantities of consumable and will extrapolate a set of data of how the plant 'should' operate after the conversion and hope it can be added to our contractual agreement. I think this is a sound plan, what do you think? They also appear quite confident about the success of the conversion so that helps reduce stress...

I ordered the book you recommended. I never thought I would say this someday but I am anxious to read about how to better handle and treat fuel!

Sophie - how's the conversion progressing?

Contractually I would insist on including guarantees on the following:

Engine Output (at generator terminals)
Auxiliary load consumption
Fuel consumption
Lube oil consumption
Time to complete conversion

Do Wartsila currently carry out the operation and maintenance of your plant?

Is there a certification issue for these engines?
MARPOL uses the certification approach for COX and NOX emissions from marine engines and fuel sulphur content to regulate SOX.
Not sure what your local regs will be nor how this change will affect it... anyone got any ideas?

JMW

Hi Taylorg and jmw,

Currently, I am patiently waiting for funding to start this project. However, in the contractual agreement, we do have a mention for fuel & lube oil consumption, engine output (garanteed to be the same) and the time to complete. There is no mention of power consumption of auxiliaries (if you implied power usage).

Based on rate of return and cost reduction of electricity, this project needs to be happening so in the next few days I should know!

Concerning certification, from the existing 2 HFO power generating plants in Guyana, there is no regulation for emissions. I have the data from our manufacturer for the amount of NOx, SOx, etc. likely to be dispersed based on 'ISO' conditions. The regulating environmental group are satisfied with us presenting that data as a 'permission to proceed'. As soon as we get the okay, we will proceed to the environmental permissions.

The one concern we have is the incinerator... Since the power plant in "close" to the community (there is a road in front of it BUT 'upstream' from the dominant winds) and since there is a bauxite plant (our client) 'downstream' of the power plant, we think the smoke from the incinerator will be too dark and create loads of deposits.

I have never seen an incinerator operate, I plan to visit a plant that have the whole HFO equipment to evaluate. But have you had a lot of complaints because of incinerator smoke? Ours would operate 12 hrs a day no more and the amount of sludge to burn 700liters...

Have a good weekend and I will keep you posted!

Sophie

For land based power plants in locations such as yours the emissions limits specified by the World Bank are normally used (and must be used if you will receive funding from them).
The engines you have will meet their limits without much trouble.

A new or well maintained incinerator should not really emit any visible black smoke at all other than when first started, and this is normally done on diesel. Only when the furnace is up to temperature is the sludge introduced. The incinerator is usually put in the far corner of the site. It must be a very small incinerator if it takes 12hrs to burn 700L of sludge!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back