Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can we replace an AVR Basler 250 with Basler 200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA07

Electrical
Feb 22, 2018
MU
Hi
There are Basler 250 on 3 hydro plants. We have 1 spare Basler 200 in our store for another turbo-alternator. Can the hydro plant replace their Basler 250 with Basler 200 in case of breakdown?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More information is needed, these have to be matched for input power source, output voltage and output current. My guess is they are probably not compatible, but that will depend on how similar the generator and excitation source parameters are.

Compatibility involves dimensional compatibility, input/output compatibility, features compatibility etc. I would get hold of the literature of both the models and draw a comparison, feature by feature, to confirm the compatibility.
The other approach is to approach Basler technical support for advice. Since both are from Basler, it is likely they would readily help you and even give you detailed guidance.

R Raghunath

It depends if you are using features on the units with the DECS 250N that the DECS 200 does not have. The attached is a publication by Basler to upgrade a DECS 200 to a DECS 250, and describes the features, mounting and wiring differences.

The main differences between the two are,
DECS 250 has a load (VAR) share feature that the DECS 200 did not have.
The DECS 250 has some additional communication protocols available.
DECS 250N has a negative field forcing feature.

I have done several DECS 200 upgrades to DECS 250, but none backward. Knowing both AVR's unless you're using a feature in the units that isn't supported by the DECS 200, it should work fine.

Hope that helps, MikeL.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=903bc26a-2092-4d5c-8021-a24f34a35704&file=RSC-D25.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back