Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can Wood trusses brace concrete columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mina_GS

Structural
Dec 10, 2023
EG
Hey Engineers,

I have a two story concrete building with wood trusses framing in the first story and concrete slab on the roof, unfortunately I cannot increase the column size in width and shall stick to 8", but I can increase the column length, currently I have concrete column 8x24, and the major direction is well braced by concrete beams, but the minor direction is the question, can I rely on wood trusses to act as a bracing point in the intermediate height of the column (First Floor level)? I have checked the axial load and the maximum was 200 kips, talking about 5% for lateral bracing point, we get 10 kips, I was planning to rely on wood trusses to take that load, especially the whole floor has marginal concrete beams, so in fact we have this interior column tied on both sides with trusses, to work on that option I am specifying Simpson module HPA35 for each truss at column location and PA23 at each other truss not at column location.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Traditionally, your diaphragm would be the structural element that would be considered to be bracing your column.

A direct attachment from the column to the wood truss could be one part of the load path to brace your column - but you would then want to see the bracing load be taken from the wood truss to the diaphragm and from the diaphragm to the lateral framing system.

EZBuilding said:
Traditionally, your diaphragm would be the structural element that would be considered to be bracing your column.

Agreed, just wanted to add a note: without a collector connecting to the column, it won't work for a thin diaphragm (like plywood). That collector would be bracing the column and the collector would be braced by the diaphragm.

Thank you All, it was really helpful, I have worked on 5% of the axial load in columns to be taken by the diaphragm, also provided PA23 at all trusses and HPA35 at columns locations with CMST12 coil straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back