Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you change area classification based on activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie10

Electrical
Dec 5, 2002
US
We have a drum filling area that is C1D1 for 5' beyond the scale. The only reason that it is a C1D1 is that the filling operation is filling a 55 gallon drum through the bung opening and venting into the building. Once the drum is full, can we use a EE rated forklift to move the drum off the scale? During this time there is no activity that would cause vapors to be present so the classification would be C1D2 at that time. So can we move the drum with a EE rated lift (only rated for the C1D2 areas)??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think not. I do not see that you can change the area classification. Tell more about the fork lift and the EE rating. Is it Diesel? Are you intentionally mixing NEC Class I Division 1 ratings with European EEx type terminology?

John

The EE rated forklift is acceptable to be used in a C1 D2. A EX forklift is rated for use in a C1D1 rated area. We also have some EE rated propane lifts. We have both propane and electric EE rated units but only electric EX rated units. Hope that this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back