Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can you evaluate services of ETL vs. UL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geerhed

Electrical
Aug 24, 2007
US
Does anyone have direct experience with the listing process of ETL, and a possible comparison with UL? I'm not interested in the acceptance of either mark, just the technical/customer service aspect of dealing with them.
Positive? Negative? Any sources I might reference for an evaluation by other parties?

Thanks much,

Doug

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My personal experience has been that both groups are the same, but I've been told by a lot of people that they think UL is the worst to work with.
All of the technicians that come to our plant to evaluate stuff seem great to work with, but the sales force in both are typical salesmen.

I've been told that CSA is the best to work with but haven't tried using them yet.

It's also worth noting that I design/make custom equipment so I am not addressing their abilities on large production runs.

I have worked with ETL, UL, and CSA. I find UL to the most difficult. One might think they have a superiority complex. CSA and ETL are about the same in my opinion regarding both technical and customer service aspects. I haven't worked with ETL in a few years, but they were usually the least expensive... as long as they knew that they were competing for the job. ...my 2 cents worth.

A few new items, FYI:
*<note: I am not bashing ETL; this is merely information I have gathered for anyone else with this question.>

Our primary competitor switched to ETL. In a discussion with our Director of Marketing, a VP stated it was a horrible decision and are switching back to UL.

You are not assigned a dedicated engineer. I thought this most strange.

How can they promise a 2-week turnaround when some tests run 1000 hrs?

I know I stated I was not interested in the acceptance of the marks, but: neither CSA nor UL will accept test data from ETL (as in a file transfer) or acknowledge their mark. Therefore, a piece of ETL-listed gear inside a UL panel is considered an unlisted component.

PS I do not work for UL, I only suffer from their pricing structure.

In your industry, UL may be highly regarded and thus the reaction from the VP of Marketing. A lot depends on the standard you are testing to and the product.

Good Luck, but ETL is still less costly IMO than UL for most projects I have worked on. Hurdle is getting their mark accepted by your customers.

Interestingly, not only does ETL (Intertek) have a voting seat on the UL xxxx Standards Technical Panel, but also has a non-voting member of a company I know favors them (per my 03-May comment above.)
The dynamics and politics of the committee are beyond me at this point. I'm not sure of the effect our single vote will have; note UL has a single vote.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but it is much on my mind lately. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back