Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can You "Freezing" Drawings From Updating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDO

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2001
CA
Hi all,

Say you have a new design/part and you make a manufacturing drawing for it, as the first version.
Then you add corrections/changes to the part, and to the drawing, in different stages, but you want to keep all the history of the drawings.

But once you update the model, the drawing automatically changes.
How do you “freeze” the drawings from updating so that you can keep the history?
Thank you,
Sorin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something we have been doing from day one is to make a .pdf file of every drawing and archiving it, before we revise a drawing. A paper copy of the .pdf file in attached to the ECN document(s). This gives us an historical record.

And now we are starting to use PDM/Works. PDM/Works creates a permanent copy of each revision, storing it in the "vault". Part and model revisions are similarly kept.
I don't have experience with this yet.

tclark

Read up on Rapiddraft drawings in the help.

You can stop them from updating by breaking the link in the feature manager. RMB the file name in the FM and uncheck the 2 options there.

Remember to uncheck the watermark in the tools\options\system options\drawings when printing.

This what I tell my customers if they don't have PDM or want to purchase it.

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Hi Sorin,

With all respect, I completely disagree with your approach.
Why?
Because, the model is the master, not the drawing. The drawing is just a piece of paper a specification if you will.

You should have different revisions of the model (i.e. parts and assemblies). This is where PDM comes in handy.

At any rate, you can "freeze" the drawing by publishing an eDrawing.

cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

Thank you much for all replies. They are all helpful and I will probably try them all and see which one works better for me here.

No problem Joseph, I agree with you up to a point. The fact is though that the history I want to be able to trace at this time is exactly what drawings I sent to manufacturing; I want to be able to show this to anybody, as needed. The way I got from one solution to another is interesting too, of course, but for other reasons.

Thank you guys a lot.

Sorin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back