Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you vary the dimensions of a cross section ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonLueke

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2003
CA
Hey All!

I was wondering if it was possible to generate a model in which the parameters of a hollow beam's cross section could be varied, and then carry out an analysis. The problem is that the range of these parameters (length, width, thickness) is large. The easy and time consuming solution that I thought of was to vary the parameters by hand and carry out the analysis. Does anyone know a better way??

Jonathan Lueke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, JonLeuke!

Here is my opinion about your problem:

1) If you need to evaluate diverse configurations (and that means evaluate all the configurations) you need to elaborate a macro that use as input parameters your parameters (length, width, thickness); in order to do that see "APDL Programmer's Guide" - Chapter 4 - "APDL as a Macro Language".

2) If you need to find an optimum configuration use Design Optimization Module of ANSYS; in order to do that you need to read "Advanced Analysis Guide" - Chapter 1 - "Design Optimization".

Best Regards,

Juzz
----------------------------------------------
Justin Onisoru
Researcher
Romanian Academy,
Institute of Solid Mechanics
----------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back