Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can you weld something that does not have a workable flat per AISC? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeizeTheMoment

Structural
Sep 16, 2020
US
Say for example you have a HSS2x2x1/4 beam connected to a HSS2x2x1/4 column. The delegated designer is saying to weld these two together with a 3/16" fillet weld all around. A HSS this size does not really have a workable flat, so I'm not sure if this really works. On a second note, does anyone have a reference for finding the section moduli for something like a HSS which would have rounded corners?

Don't bend to the stress, seize the moment!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding the welding, have a look at your local welding code, they should have prequalified welds for joining two SHS like you want. I think what they really mean is ensuring a similar throat thickness to a 3/16" fillet weld, that's really what matters. My local code for example has something like this showing it is indeed possible to weld:-
Screenshot_2022-11-12_001551_rjqulg.png

As for properties:-
Screenshot_2022-11-12_001026_dugar4.png

Screenshot_2022-11-12_001044_ervdp9.png

Thanks Agent... excellent info; I'll check the formulae with the ones I use in my SMath program and some additional ones. One of the nice things about SMath, is that I can do a Windows snapshot of the formulae, and past it 'off page' in SMath. I calculate the weld areas by adjusting for the sloped surface.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks Agent. I agree with the fillet weld just being the minimum effective thickness, flare bevel at the edges of the HSS would have a thicker effective size than the fillet. I was trying to figure out the section moduli using Blodgett's method, but looking at AISC it looks like we have something similar:

Screenshot_2022-11-11_121817_kw7hbf.jpg

@JLNJ yes I agree. Fillet weld would have 0.707 x 3/16" = 0.132" effective throat, while the flare bevel would have 5/16 x 2(1/4") = 0.16". The flare bevel is technically larger, so I think that's why calling out a fillet weld all around would work in this case (but if we want to be correct, then yes it should be flare bevel).

Agent, are the values for the corners:

Clipboard01_tnir2z.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back