Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canadian Steel 350W 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetescamilla

Structural
Dec 8, 2006
US
Our design criteria calls out for the use of CAN/CSA-G40.21 Grade 350W structural steel. I know that this is equivalent to 50ksi for Fy, but what is Fu? For the life of me I can not find it online or in any books in our office library. Our office just ordered the CISC handbook, so I wont have that for another week or so. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To loosely translate-
"Here is the table of characteristics of Grade 350W steel.
Good luck."

350w steel is essentially 50 ksi yield strength. Fu is the ultimate strength. Fu for this is around 65 ksi.
Let me know if you need anything more- Canadian steel is great :)
Cheers
Geoff

During a conversation with one of the structural gurus at my company (Canadian) it was mentioned that there are essentially no more mills in Canada that produce the steel. Effectively all the 350W rolled pieces we get in Canada (W, H, S shapes) are ASTM A992 or (maybe) ASTM A572 Grade 50 steel that then get re-certified under the CAN/CSA G40.20/G40.21 standard.

In fact S16-01 clause 5.1.3 states that structural steel shall meet the requirements of CAN/CSA G40.20/G40.21 or ASTM A992/A992M.

If you look through the G40.20 standard (which is only 47 pages and defines shapes, tolerances etc) it heavily references the ASTM standards. ASTM A6/A6M mostly.

If you look through the G40.21 standard (which is only 46 pages and talks about the steel material) it heavily references the relevant ASTM standards. Clause 4.1 also states that "Materials conforming to ASTM A992/A992M conform also to this Standard."

I'm not certain how 300W fits into this or other grades of steel. My hunch is that it is much the same.

Yup Fu = 450 MPa is what I typically use for connection design with 300W and 350W. Table 6-3 of the handbook has that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back