Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canadians stranded after bridge splits amid intense cold 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be more accurate, it was the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer and the Corporation of the Seven Wardens that were the result of a Canadian bridge failure - the Quebec Bridge to be exact. The Order of the Engineer came about later after and was inspired by the success of the aforementioned ritual and organisation, not the original bridge failure.

The irony now is that The Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec has recently lost its ability to self-regulate, which is the first time I can recall that happening to a professional body in Canada.

I don't know the details of what is happening in Quebec. Only what was in the email news notification from my local association, which said that they had been placed under temporary government stewardship.

Ouch, they're having a rough time.
Excerpt: ...Motion demanding the removal of the Executive Committee and director general...

Apparently the old director(s) are suing the new directors, and it's a "circus" in the words of many members.

STF

Yes, it does look like it was written for a very broad audience. I did note that item 10 in the list of findings seems to support, to some extent, my comments from 11-12 January.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

A question for the structural guys;
Do I understand that it was the repeated stretching and relaxing of the bolts that led to failure and if the bolts had been tighter they would not have relaxed and would have held?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

To waross

High strength bolts is pretensioned to 0.7 times of the minimum tensile strength of the bolt. That means the tension in the bolt does not change if the uplift load from the cables is less than the sum of the bolts pretension. Also fatigue failure does not occur if the stress range is less than some amount or the stress cycle is less than certain times.

possible explanation of the failure is that the cable contraction force overcome the structure weight and bolts tension, then pull the deck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back