Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find high-flow water cleaning gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru8923

Petroleum
May 12, 2006
US
Hi,
I am looking to purchase 10 new guns for our pressure washers, but am limited due to our existing pumps.

The highest rated pressure washer I can find is here:

It's rated for 2500 psi and 30 GPM.

However, our Cat pumps are rated at 60 GPM output (model 6020) seen here:

We don't have the option to change the pumps since we already have 10 in the field mounted to our cleaning trucks.

I would like to know if there are any spray guns that can handle 60 GPM @ 1000 psi or if we have to design our own spray gun.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be very careful if you go with the build it your own route. I have very grave concern about having leaks in high pressure fluidic devices about the possibility of fluidic embolism, the injection of fluid under pressure into a person's body. The results aren't very pretty. So just make sure you incorporate a good safety factor, at least 3::1 in anything you build.

I say this even though your pressures aren't in the very dangerous range, but are high enough to inflect some damage.

Thank you. I am shooting for 5:1 depending on the weld strength of the aluminum.

I am looking for the strongest filler/base combo to give us the highest weld strength.

Have you done any reaction force calcs?

I'd have to work it out but I'd check you could actually hold this baby down!

That isn't a lot of pressure but your talking huge flows through a hand held gun.

Are you using these pump at this flow currently?

may be able to help, as they do much higher pressures and could at least advise you.

Agree with cannondale, a gun that could pass 30 gpm at 2500 psi gives roughly a 50 lbf reaction. Possibly the rig gorillas could hold it, but it would be awfully fatiguing to work with for very long. Risk that an untrained operator could pull the trigger and damage something or somebody as the gun "kicks" should also be apparent.

High-flow pressure washers typically are meant for multiple-wand, multiple-man usage, or for equipment designed to utilize the high flow rate (pipe cleaning, e.g.) where the spray wands are held/fed mechanically, not manually.

Mass effect water cleaning systems are usually controlled with a shoulder mounted wand or if necessary you use a reverse jet to take some of the reaction force unless as posted above mechanically mounted.

As I originally posted to accomplish what the OP ask would be to get a higher pressure component and just change the nozzle orifice to accommodate his conditions.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cannondale and btrueblood,

Yes we currently use a Cat pump 6020 on our trucks with 1-2 guns per pump. Roughly 30GPM and 800 psi on each gun. Our current gun is a 1950 design made with 304SS 3/4" SCH-40 seamless pipe (1.05" OD, .824" ID). Much larger than the guns out there to handle the flow. And yes our guys leave with big bruises on their shoulders, even with the shoulder pads.

I found a 53GPM gun made by General Pump, so I may order one to try out, with the right nozzle as unclesyd mentioned.

I work for Calder and we do high pressure and ultra high pressure guns (not my area thought), and I'm told it'll lift you off your feet at that flow and pressure! Although we may be able to supply the bits.
I suppose if your in the US you'll find somebody to help you out (have you tried Stoneage), if not try Calder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back