Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open part: Access is denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwisi

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2011
US
I work for a company with 9 seats of solidworks 2010 and a central server on which all SW files are kept. We do not use any PDM software.

I recently upgraded to a new computer (Windows 7 64bit) and a new SW license, and now whenever I open an assembly, edit and save it, then close it, other users who attempt to open parts referenced in the assembly will get the Explorer error "Cannot open Y:\...\part1.sldprt. Access is denied"

If I open the part referenced in their error message, save it and close it, they are then allowed to open that part. They are still denied access to all other parts referenced in the original assembly.

This is a new problem that started when I started using my new computer and SW license on our network.

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I searched the forum but did not find a thread describing this exact problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does this happen with files other than Solidworks, frinstance Word documents? This sounds more like a W7 problem, maybe?

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 2.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

I have only had it happen with Solidworks files. Not all users have Windows 7, some are using WinXP.

I can't say for sure, but I'm inclined to think everyone does have administrator permissions. We do not have any kind of IT dept, so everyone is responsible for installing/maintaining their own workstations.

As for Collaboration, I enabled the multi-user environment when I installed SW2010 on my W7 64bit machine. I just checked a few other computers, and nobody else has it enabled. This may be the source of the problem. I've disabled multi-user environment on my machine, we'll see if that stops the errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back