Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot replace Mirrored Merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

treddie

Computer
Dec 17, 2005
US
Hello.

Apparently, ProE had a solution to this problem, but Creo does not? Simply put, I have a mirrored part and many features added later that reference the original un-mirrored part. I made enough revisions to that original part that it needed a new name and there is the catch...Creo will not let me replace the original part with an alternate when doing the Mirrored Merge. It tells me,
"Ref model that is not instance and have empty Family table can not be redefined."

A Family table will probably not work since the new part is significantly different than the original. So unless there is a solution, it will take forever to rebuild all the features I added after the Mirrored Merge...Unless I can replace the original mirrored reference part and then just step through outdated or missing references.

For reference, here is the method suggested for ProE over at MCAD:
"When you try to delete do you get a DELETE dialog box? In this box choose suspend. ProE should then delete the merge feature and enter Resolve mode. In Resolve mode choose Fix Model>Feature and select confirm. The Menu Manager should open the FEAT menu. Select Insert Mode at the bottom of the list then Activate. ProE will ask you to select a feature to insert after. ProE should suppress all of your models failing features and you can insert the new merge feature. You can then unsuppress the model features and redefine them or select the insert arrow and cancel and ProE will step through each of the features and have you redefine them."

It seems the problem with Creo is that when you get the Delete dialog box, you can suspend all failed features, but Creo will not enter Resolve Mode.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found a method that works, so long as the features done after the Mirrored Merge don't need to be edited later. Simply PubGeom those features from the original mirrored part and CGeom them back into the new mirrored part. But again...You lose the feature history in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back