cannot save assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

crizzo

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2003
US
Hello all,

Running 06' sp3 here. (desperately wish we could afford to upgrade to 08/09). I cannot save an assembly. SW just hangs and freezes upon trying to save. I have to task manager and force quit. For the past several years I've been ok, but recently not. I can't ascertain any windows updates or such that I've recently installed which may cause the problem. I've uninstalled and done a re-install. no luck.

any ideas much appreciated.

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

-Run "Assembly Expert" and see if there are any major issues with your model.

-Run "feature statistics" on the parts individually to see if one of them is giving you problems/taking longer to reload/save because of a conflicting feature/error/mate.

Try creating an assembly from scratch and dropping 2 parts in there, then try to save. If it saves then it is a faulty assembly that is giving you problems. Try these things and report back.

SW2008 Office Pro SP4.0
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.2GHz, 2.00GB RAM
QuadroFX 3700
SpacePilot

Thanks fellas,

Yes even the most basic assembly will not save. That's heading me down the road of a software issue, versus a hardware issue. Also it used to work. System is indeed a bit older, 3.0 mhz 1gb ram.

I'll try the recommended procedure of rebuilding the reg. files. I did however perform a un/re-install, and manual cleared out the registry of all solidworks references. Maybe I missed something.

Update!

It works!

Performed the import export wizard to export my settings.

Backed up my reg. settings, then deleted the solidworks entry. Restarted SW and it rebuilt registry with default values.

Saving an assembly now would work!

Unfortunately I lost all my toolbars and such, I used the import wizard to get my saved settings back, and again the no-save issue reappeared.

oh well, I can deal with re building my settings.

thank for all the help and leads!

Has the Windows Update automatically 'fixed' the graphics driver for you? Which VC and driver are you using?
As Eltron asked, what are your system specs?
Do you have any active add-ins?
Are you working across a network?
Can you install SW on a different computer?
Have you cleaned out the temp folders recently?
How much unused storage space do you have?

[cheers]

Ok, you guys are gonna laugh at my system.

3.0 mhz
1gb ram
gforce 4200ti No recent graphic driver updates
about 40g free space out of a 120 hd.
3d spaceball add-in. again old skool, 4000 flx.
system maintained well (it needs all the help it can get). clean temp files, regular defrags, etc. etc.

yes network. exchange server. SW settings and such stuff live local, although part and assembly files are on server.

ah the good ole IBM 4000FLX. glad to hear you solved the problem. cheers.

SW2008 Office Pro SP4.0
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.2GHz, 2.00GB RAM
QuadroFX 3700
SpacePilot

Assuming that's a P4 CPU, that's not that bad. I'm still running a P4-2.8GHz and only this year overclocked it to 3.36GHz, upped the RAM to 2GB and added a 500GB HDD (was just 120GB).

RAM and HDD storage is relatively cheap, get more.

The biggest difference between our systems is the graphics card. I'm using an AGP nVidia Quadro FX500. Remove your GeForce, walk to nearest trash can and drop it in. Replace with an entry level nVidia Quadro FX.

Copy files from the server and work locally. Unless you have a fast network it will always be a bottleneck.

BTW, you did mean 3GHz CPU, didn't you?

[cheers]

Sorry, 3ghz p4. 3mhz would be really funny. :eek:)

Got any good recommendations on overclocking instructions/tips? MotherBoard Intel 865PERL.

I really can't complain about my system, it has been rock solid for all the years I've had it. A while back I hacked my 4200ti to supposedly perform like a Quadro. Didn't really notice much diff.

I do a clean install every few years to keep the system relatively un bloated. Heck socket 478 parts are soooo cheap on ebay now anyways!

If you care to investigate the solution further, you could save out a working copy of the SW settings and compare the files. The setting files are text files which can be compaired fairly easily with programs like csdiff.

Knowing which settings are different might help you pinpoint the one that was causing the trouble, and you could avoid having to redo your customization.

Eric

crizzo said:
A while back I hacked my 4200ti to supposedly perform like a Quadro. Didn't really notice much diff.
That is a strong indication the soft mod didn't work. I will almost guarantee you will see a major difference if you switch to an nVidia Quadro FX card. See if you can borrow one from somewhere for a test. Just make sure to use the correct driver for it.

As for overclocking, until you replace the video card and increase RAM, you're wasting your time. Overclocking won't compensate for those deficiencies. Also your board appears to be limited in overclocking options.

Once you get the toolbars customised and everythings working OK, remember to save/export the registry setting ... for use the next time.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back