Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't change borders of unlocked & unprotected cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

MigrantFirmWorker

Aerospace
Jul 10, 2003
US
I think I've entered the twilight zone. I have a couple of cells on a worksheet that are unlocked and the worksheet is unprotected. I am unable to edit the borders. I can, however, edit the fonts, fill color, justification, etc. The "Format Cells" dialog also will not launch for these cells. I tried using VBA to modify the borders, to no avail. Anybody know the super-secret Microsoft option that causes this behavior?

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't be deceived. We're all temporary employees."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Couple of thoughts:
- you may have Window/Freeze Panes on
- did you try copying everything to a new sheet?

Cheers,
Joerd

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Did you get this resolved? If not, check to see if these "borders" are not actually a rectangle graphic that someone put there. You should be able to "click" on the border of the rectangle (when sheet is unlocked) if this is the case.

Thanx for the assistance.

I do have Freeze Panes on, but turning it off had no effect.
There are no graphics on the sheet.

I tried a variation of NomLaser's suggestion and saved the workbook in XML format then reopened it. That fixed the problem.

The bad news is that I have some macros that do some rearranging of cells on the sheet. Sometimes when I run them the problem reappears. Seems to be an MS bug.

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't be deceived. We're all temporary employees."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back