Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't combine solids 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyedol

Electrical
Jul 31, 2006
US
For some reason combine, join, and cavity are shaded out and can't be selected. No matter what solid, face, etc I select they don't unshade and are useless. Any idea?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have bodies shown in the Solid Bodies folder? If you have surface bodies (and not multiple solids), these features won't work.

Also, the Combine, Join, and Cavity features do not necessarily all work in the same environments (assembly, part, etc.). Are you trying this within an assembly or part?

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Yeah only 1 solid body is shown. I'm trying this inside of the part enviorment.

I have a sweep and a extrude that go into eachother and I'm just seeing about smoothing out the intersection. I'm not even sure this will do this for me. I just started playing with solidworks a few days ago.

Thanks - Joel

Joel,

Well, you'll want to run through the tutorials to get the features and terminology down a bit better. SolidWorks does things a lot differently than non-history modelers such as Rhino, but is quite powerful.

From the sounds of it, you've got two features that already intersect to form a single solid body. You can use the Fillet feature to add a radius and blend the parts together a little better (otherwise I'm not quite sure what you need--"smoothing out the intersection").

Also, the FAQ and Links section in this forum will have some additional starting-off info for you to check out.

I use SolidWorks as an industrial designer--all the stuff on my web site was done in SolidWorks. So it's very powerfull, but creating more complex geometry takes a little time to learn.

Good luck.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Yeah solidworks is very different and I've been looking for tutorials and never found any. I think fillet would work.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back