Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can't drag parts with constraints feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent5791

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2014
US
Typically, if I wanted to click/drag (move) a part on the screen, I would open the assembly constraints dialog box, select touch/align and then I could drag the part around. This is, of course assuming the part was not fully constrained. Now, all of a sudden, I can't do this anymore. I always thought this method was quicker than using the "move object" command and it is my preferred method. Please help.

Thank you,
Trent
NX 11.0.1.11

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm currently using 11.0.2.7, no major upgrades that I'm aware of. Also, since my original post I've learned that this issue seems to be limited to one file and within that file the "move object" command no longer works either. As long as there are zero assembly constraints on an object I can drag/move it as I like. However, as soon as I one constraint I can no longer move the object in any directions with either of the methods, click drag with asy constraints or "move object" command.

Thank you,
Trent
NX 11.0.1.11

If it is part specific, I'd suggest contacting GTAC and letting them take a look.
You could check the log file before sending it to GTAC - load the file(s), attempt your move, then open the log file and scroll to the bottom to see if any errors were reported.

www.nxjournaling.com

Do you perhaps have "Collision detection" set to "Stop before collision" in this model (you can check this setting in the "Move object" dialog)?

I also find the "Show degrees of freedom" tool very useful in determining how a component may be moved. It can be quite helpful when I glue a component to a wrong surface and wonder why it doesn't move like it's supposed to.

I assume that , in the first post, when you say Move Object you mean Move Component and not Move Object . ( which in my world could have been the same thing and not 2 separate functions.)
anyway, while the assembly constraints dialog is up, you should be free to drag any component which isn't fully constrained in the "non-constrained directions", but one must not "click" that component, "only place the cursor on top of - press LMB and drag release. This should not be dependent on that the dialog is set to touch/align, should work on any setting.

Also , if there is a feature related, such that this is a promotion or a Wave link, the drag / move will not work.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back