Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find a job 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

global9000

Electrical
Nov 5, 2005
CA
I live in Canada and I'm finding it extremely difficult to find an Engineering position. I graduated 2 years ago with a B.Eng and have had 2 short term contracts in that time, that didn't lead anywhere. I've been unemployed for over a year now and things are not getting any better. My field of interest is digital hardware design. I have experience in this area as well as software development experience. I had really good grades in school, graduated top of my class no less. Yet I am still having trouble finding full time employment. I'm applying for any positions now that are remotely related to my degree. I've had my resume reviewed by recruiters and they all tell me it looks excellent, but of course my lack of experience automatically disqualifies me from any positions they have.

The thing that amazes me about Canadian companies is the lack of entry-level positions. It just seems they all want someone with 5 years experience working with technology thats only been out for 4 years! And if its not that they try to outsource everything they can. I almost had a job but the position was outsourced to India.

Right now I am taking some part-time programming classes and networking. I've applied to Graduate school but didn't get accepted. The only options I see in the future are to re-apply to graduate school or to go into the trades. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Any advice on finding a job would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

However late, but I always wanted to share my experience..been in usa for more than 18 yrs.

I am not surprised at the last post of global9000 as it is the most expected result. I fully agree with "golfmeeting".

For all fresh graduates and those just recently migrated to Canada or USA please remember:

1. If you see a ad in the paper or internet, it usually means that the employer has ran out most preferred option of hiring someone "known" to one of thier employees.

Cost of advertizing, interviewin is significan in North America. Going thru head hunters is even more expensive. So first attempt every employer make is ask their current employee to bring some one in, as there are lot of benefits to it, inlcuding not to worry too much about someone's background, a very important factor.

2. Most ads are for 'experienced" people, so fresh graduates or new immigrants need not resent to that. There are always positons available for entry level but 95% of them are NOT advertized!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. So most productive way to find entry level (or when you are new to the country) is to go door to door. Grab yellow pages or get addresses from ads and personally go to the place and ask if they have room for a entry level. There will be many who will say no, but remember you need only one to say yes, and trust me you will find them. Just stay positive.

4. Also most good and less stressful jobs are away from big cities. Get away from large cities. Like I know loads of immigrants have landed in Toronto lately, its unreasonanle expect everyone to get a job there. Move to smaller places away from large cities.

I feel for you!

I am also an EE in electronics. It took me three years to find work. Here is what I did:

1) I went back for my MSEE, and I couldn't get accepted with my GPA. So I registered as a student at large, wich is status of being a student just taking courses. You're allowed to take 12 hours before changing status to degree seeking. So I did that part time. Got in and graduated.

2) Network. Join professional societies and get active with them. Go to local conferences, plus you'll still be able to have student status, so the fees for professional societies will be cheaper.

3) Get a part time job. You'll meet people. Get your mind off engineering woes, and get a social life. (instead of eating froot-loops and flip between CNN and Cartoon Network)This also lets you afford to get in a gym and exercise,this was a good mood-buster for me.

4)I took PLC courses at a community college, very hands on. Lots of work for engineers willing to travel a little, and get the hands dirty. I got really into it and just did design problems, read on control sensors app notes, posted on eng-tips, and stayed active.

I got a job as a tech. Within 9 months I got on a design track engineering position. As someone sayed on eng-tips:
"engineering is a verb, not a noun" just stay positive and believe you can do it! (Key word believe!)

So, why many people said we don't have enough engineers in the future compared with other countries, such as China or India. How can we persude someone to be engineer if we don't have a job for them after graduate. Oh My god!!!

I guess I will briefly share my experience. The topic creator and I have had similar experiences. Getting out of school, I had 2 contract/temp positions which I excelled but didn't lead to anything. After the last one ended, I searched for over 1 year for a job, just sending out resumes and trying to network when I could. I ended up getting the job I got now because of a job I didn't get. I interviewed for a position with a company for which I was not qualified, but they had a sister company that was looking for someone with experience right up my alley. Congratulations on you new job global.

Locar

Your experience is called networking.

While you may have not been part of the network, the person who first interviewed you passed your name on to the second person to gain a future favor. (Not that anyone keeps track of favors given and received just that everyone has to put as much into the network as they got out of it.)

Most if not all jobs and a lot of contracts between companies in private industry are found by networking.

The best way to get into a network is to get out there meet people. Go to every trade show, convention and technical association meeting that you can attend. Look outside the engineering world. Church, charities, social sports and many other organizations or associations are opportunities to network.

Try to put something into the network before you start taking something out of it. It may be a simple as volunteering to help with the logistics of the meetings since you don’t have much to offer by way of a position with a firm.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

global9000,

I can feel your frustration for I was in this predicament about 7 months ago. I finally settled for an Application Support position for a small company that designs and manufactures PLCs in Ottawa. I have a MSc with A+ grades but not from a top school.

Hardware Design is not too hot right now. As a matter of fact, nothing high tech is hot right now. In Kanata where there are a bunch of semiconductor companies, there are even fewer opportunities. On the otherhand, utilities is a stable industry and with stricter environmental regulations and diminishing natural resources, renewable energy will be in demand. Problem with utilities it seems, is that you need to know someone in there unless you have the desired certification. Make sure you know what aspect of electric power generation you want to engage yourself in.

I have recently decided to focus my interest in Controls towards Electric Power generation and distribution. So, I think that you are heading in the right direction. In regards to the job search, keep looking. You must relocate though if you are in a place like Saskatoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back