Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can't find LGSI handbook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe117

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2021
US
Anyone know where I can find a LGSI Framing Systems Design Handbook? Been seeing on threads there's a good one from 1990. Been hoping to find something on z purlins that is similar to the flexure tables from AISC handbook.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Z-girts seem to have disappeared from the generic catalogs. You may be best served by using supplier specific information like this (Canadian unfortunately): Link

Joe117 said:
Been hoping to find something on z purlins that is similar to the flexure tables from AISC handbook.

The Canadian steel handbook actually does have a section useful for the preliminary design of Z-Girts. The units are obnoxious to those of us brought up stateside but perhaps this will still be of use to you anyhow.

C01_hjoitu.png

Thank y'all. Also just found some in Appendix B from Neuman's PEMB book. Really wish all good info/tables were free.

There's a very inexpensive program called CFS (Cold Formed Steel) that you can use to design and check this stuff. Understands and works with lapped z-sections or any section you make up.

I think it's about $150 per year. Well worth it compared to your time trying to hand calc 20 different buckling limit states for every shape. Actually just checked and they have a free version with limited functionality.

I second the recommendation of the CFS software.

American Iron and Steel Institute does publish a Cold-Formed Steel Design Manual, my 2002 editions has Z-member span charts (similar to AISC), I attached an example. The current edition is 2017, I do not know if they have continued to publish the tables.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=86c0be6d-5cd6-4ee4-aa30-705e94814d97&file=CamScanner_04-21-2022_07.45.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back