Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can't Move Links in Released Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ct27gt

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2009
US
Our file structure is not the best and we are working in an unmanaged environment.

We up-rev all of our assemblies, parts, and drawings (by using file-->save as on released documents) and keep everything in the same folder (for each specific project), including the old revisions. When the assembly is released to production, we set the status to "Released" for the corresponding assemblies, subassemblies, parts, and drawings. This creates a spiders nest of read-only documents with references to various revisions of released documents.

Problem: We have a ton of electrical components (no drawings) in different folders we would like to move to a standard parts folder. These are currently being referenced by released assemblies from multiple different folders and revisions. Upon initial testing it seems that you can only re-define broken links for "Released" assemblies, and not necessarily move referenced parts while keeping links intact.

Am I correct in assuming the only way to accomplish moving referenced part files while maintaining links within "Released" assemblies would be to move the files to break the links, and then fix them using either revision manager or the data management link fix up tool?

Anybody have experience with the Link Management text file? If we were to set that to search our standards parts folder after the default searches would this significantly slow down model load times if it contains multiple subfolders and a lot of parts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use the link management file for exactly this type of activity.

When setting up your file, leave the 3 keywords at the top of the file. Solid Edge will search for files using the same routine as you are accustomed to and you won't see a performance issue. But, for any links that SE is unable to resolve, it will go in order the specific directories you list. Therefore, put your new standard parts folder as the first in the search path.
Code:
CONTAINER
RELATIVE
ABSOLUTE

BEGIN SEARCH PATH

\\hostserver\folder\Standard Parts

END SEARCH PATH
Subdirectories will automatically be parsed, if necessary. SE only searches until it finds the first filename that matches the linked file so load times won't be much longer unless the file you need is the very last one.
Then, of course, once you save the assembly, the new location of that file (the link) is stored in the assembly so the file won't have to be searched for again.

You could also use RevMan to bulk update the links. Review the Help for Redefine Links under the TOOLS menu.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

To elaborate, it seems to me you could move your electrical components to a new folder and keep links intact by using the where-used functionality in revision manager which will list the where-used assemblies and allow you to set the action on those files to "update".

Yes, I have tried rev manager, but it won't change links because the released file is read only. Rev manager will only redefine already broken links for released files.

Thanks swertel for the info on using the link management file. I will test this out and see how it affects load times.

" it won't change links because the released file is read only"
I see. I'm in an Insight managed environment and appointed Insight gods can change released files. I suppose in an unmanaged environment it would be similar to making files read only while allowing appointed person(s) modify privileges.

^^ Exactly our situation. Thanks for the responses. I have yet to test the search paths method, but hopefully will get the chance soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back