Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant resize border/ outline of a view in a drawing in SW 2005???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisrik

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2004
US
I have noticed that I can no more change the size of the broken dashed border/ outline of a view in a drawing in SW 2005 . Is it that SW has lost that particular option in the 2005 version or do I need to check any system option for that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So I understand that I can no longer resize a view border and am looking for another way to accomplish this.

I have a rather large (geometrically, not number of components) which I need to produce assembly instructions for. I have created configurations in which I have cut away (using assembly cuts) geometry which I don't want to show on my drawing. My assembly is of a bunch of trim components which get mounted on a wall. I have the wall modeled showing corners and such and the assembly cuts remove portions of the wall I am not concentrating on. The components I'm not interested in are hidden.

My problem is that the view borders are sized as if the entire assembly is visible. This poses a problem because adjacent views overlap and it's a total crap shoot as to which view notes are being placed in. I know I could lock view focus every time I'm working in a particular view, but that gets to be a pain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave Gowans

dgowans,

On your drawing view try croping the view by first drawing a box, circle, etc.(as long as it completes a closed entity) around what you want to be visible and the select crop from your drawing toolbar.

You can also crop exploded views by doing the following:

After inserting your exploded view use a square, circle or polygon to define your crop area, and then right-click. Go to properties for that view and uncheck "Show in Exploded State". Crop the view as you normally would. Right-click on the view again, go back to properties and check "Show in Exploded State".

Hope this all made sense.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.1

You could try finding the view in the tree, right click on it, selecting 'lock view focus' and adding the notes afterward. That's what I do.

Also, if you name your views (in the tree), you will have a much easier time selecting them.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back