Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't select individual lines after importing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travh2008

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2012
US
Hi everyone,

I'm new to AutoCAD 2010, and I just imported a 2D drawing from NX6 into AutoCAD. The flat pattern lines all show up nicely, but when I try and select one line, the entire drawing get selected. I heard about the "explode" command before and tried to separate the lines that way, but apparently it's not supposed to be used in this situation.

How can I select individual lines after importing?

Thanks,
Travis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might take several iterations of "explode."

The first will break up the whole drawing into components. The second will break up individual blocks within the imported drawing. In those blocks may be other blocks, etc...

Also, in order to explode an xref (if that's how you imported the drawing instead of as a block), you have to bind it first.

Tell us the reason for this statement, too, please:

Travh2008 said:
"I heard about the "explode" command before and tried to separate the lines that way, but apparently it's not supposed to be used in this situation."

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It turns out that this was a mistake on my part. I thought that the entire imported drawing was selected, but instead, it was only highlighted. I'm not too sure why the software highlighted the entire drawing. It seems a bit confusing to me, because I have to study which grips are showing to know which line registered when clicked.

Anyways, the Explode command mentioned does work when I have objects that are really grouped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back