Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cantilever column w/ flag pole footing

Status
Not open for further replies.

skier1578

Structural
Jan 6, 2005
US
Forgive the question, but I mostly design residential construction and have not done a horse corral in quite some time, let alone one that is already built and we now have the fun time of trying to make it work. Does anyone know, or can somebody refer me somewhere to find the deflection limit when designing a flag pole footing lateral system. We are trying to prove that the existing steel pipe columns work. I appreciate any guidance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You probably will need a soil report so that you can determine the allowable passive pressure and where the passive pressure will start. Use formula (6-1) if you are using the 97 UBC or (Equation 18-1) if you are using the 2003 IBC. Estimate the point of rotation at about .35D below the start of the passive pressure. (These are for non-constrained conditions)

Similar formalus are provided for constrained conditions on the same code pages.

The New York State Building Code provides section with requirements for the design of pole footings (moment loaded, deep footings). I would check your state current Building Code for these provisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back