Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cantilever column with geometric non linearity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ateestructural

Structural
Jun 10, 2016
GB
I have a cantilever column of length 1m.

I have applied a lateral load of 200 kN uniformly distributed over the length of the column

I have carried out a geometric non linear analysis and see that the (maximum deformed) statistics are as follows:

-314.40 mm(translation X)
0.00 (translation Y)
-49.62 mm (translation Z)
0.00000(rotation X)
-0.38930 (rotation Y)
0.00000 (rotation Z)

I get a very high axial force on the column of 1565.60 kN

Since the translation and rotation is high I am guessing my high value of axial force is because my load (lateral) of 200 kN is NOT a follower load i.e. it DOES NOT REMAIN perpendicular to the column throughout. Thus, the load has a contribution / component along the axial direction resulting in high axial forces.

Is that possible? Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The manual for the software will tell you if it's a follower load or not. It might also be implied by how you defined it. If you defined it as being in the X direction, then it should not be a follower load because you told it to be in the X direction, not transverse to the beam.

Another way to tell is be looking at the reaction forces. Is the net reaction force 10 000 kN in the +X direction, balancing an applied non-follower 10 000 kN in the -X direction? If there's any reaction force in the Z direction, then it would be a follower load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back