Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cantilevered Beam Backspan- Unbraced Beam Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief45

Structural
Apr 30, 2009
US
- Have several cantilevered steel beams which naturally have negative moment over a portion of its backspan.

- The top flange is continuously braced by a composite slab. However, the bottom flange (currently) is unbraced.

- Trying to determine what unbraced length should be used when checking if the beam has the capacity to resist the negative moment.

- Attached you will find a partial framing plan, bending moment diagram, and a blow up detail which illustrate the condition and the unbraced length I’m trying to determine.

Any help you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've gotten into this discussion with many folks over the years.... most of whom thought that the RISA program should have automatically recognize the inflection point as a brace point.

The code provisions are now pretty clear that inflection points cannot be considered a brace point. Hence the "proper" design would be to use the entire backspan length as the unbraced length.

That being said it was a common design practice for years and years to consider the inflection point as a brace.... But, only if you also used a Cb of 1.0. That is an important caveat.

Since Cb is fairly large for beams with a moment diagram like this, the old design practice is not necessarily un-conservative.

I am curious to see the load diagram for this problem. Obviously this a building structure and I really do not understand the relatively high loads.

JAE-

Without the beam size, beam spacing, deck thickness, deck, reinforcing, and concrete strength, I can only say it "might" work. I'm not even sure there are shear studs on this beam.

chief45-

It's still not clear to me. Are there shear studs connecting the beam to the slab?

miecz,

Interesting idea. I would not have thought it would have been possible to get enough stiffness out of the web of the beam.

I am impressed with your calculation but still prefer a brace at the inflection point and at the end of the cantilever.

BA

If you can provide shear studs into the slab, just add a full depth stiffener at the inflection point and the bracing is taken care of.

StructuralEIT,

The op stated that typical beams on the project are composite with the slab. I agree that a full depth stiffener can work, but that sidesteps my assertion that the system can meet Appendix 6 without a stiffener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back