Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cantilevered bolted connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspElement

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2010
US
I have an application that i have been trying to use calculations from a different post and am having some trouble.

I have a customer that is wanting to remove a leg from their platform to allow for a conveyor to travel under it. See attached file. There are 2 angles as a beam across the platform (6 x 3 1/2 x 51/6 and 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 5/16) inertias came to 10.9 + 2.45 (modulus 5.42 + 2.47). Used a beam calc to determine stress and deflection. Total load on platform at one time will be 1500 + SW (550lb to Solidworks) I add 25% to SW to be safe. Total of 2188 lbs.
Thru beam calcs, I determined I needed to add one C6 to keep a stress SF of 10. Deflection was a non factor.

My major concern is the bolts. The pull stress of the 6 bolts holding this side up. Obviously there will be some stress transferred to the other leg, however I want to be sure there won't be any issues. I am looking at this if i were to be cantilevering with only the 6 bolts, worse case.

No one at my company knows how to do this, I need to prove this before giving the go ahead.

I am trying to use BD #2 on and i cant seem to determine where they are getting some of their numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back