Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cantilevered Concrete Slab Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RareBugTX

Structural
Aug 31, 2004
US
Hi everyone:

I would like to know if somebody knows of a method (suggestions, text or resources) to design a cantilevered concrete slab that is going to be supported on masonry shearwalls. the architect does want to project it around 6 feet from the edge of the walls to give this residential building a clean sleek look and plenty of light to the living room.

Any hints would be appreciated

RareBug

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure the reinforcement is in the tensile zone on the documentation and during your site inspection. It may sound silly, but many builders habitually put the concrete near the bottom of the slab.

Reinforcing the tension zone is one critical aspect.

The second is the availability of sufficient counterweight for balance. If the slab is not continuing to a reasonable length on the other side if the masonry wall, the shuttering for the slab (particularly the props) should not be stripped unless and until sufficient height of masonry is built above the support as the counterweight.

I'm assuming you have a backspan of 20-40 feet for this cantilever. Assuming that, you should be able to design it just like a regular cantilever beam and have dowels from your masonry walls match the slab reinforcing.

Thanks all of you!

Yes, there is going to be a backspan (I figured about 15')from the bearing masonry wall to the interior c.i.p. slab.

There will be plenty of counterweight on the other side of the cantilever, not only from the slab itself, but from the edges of that interior (counterweight) slab supporting the masonry wall above.

Thanks!

Rarebug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back