Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cantilevered Plywood Subfloor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUengr51

Structural
Jul 19, 2005
US
Please don't laugh, but I have a question regarding a very small cantilevered plywood subfloor. I have a condition where I have a 6" gap between my structure (wood truss) and an adjacent building. There will be an expansion joint between the two structures, but with a 6" gap, the joint material becomes very expensive. I'm hoping to cantilever the plywood subfloor out 4" to 5" so that a smaller gap to bridge exists.

The contractor is using the Advantech 3/4" subfloor material. Does anyone know of any information that is avaiilable to 1) determine whether a plywood panel is allowed to be unsupported at its edge and 2) determine the max cantilever distance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing you can do, in my opinion, is to cantilever out some 1x flat members under the plywood, side-by-side (like T&G).
This would 1)thicken the cantilevered board and 2)would give a higher moment of inertia to the section and 3)would support the edge of plywood.

Is this 5'' - 6'' cantilever carrying any real loads?? Not sure I understand the arrangement.

If no loads --- make sure it is weather protected and just go with it...

The gap has to be closed with an expansion joint materal for a fire rating. As it is now, you basically have a chimney in which fire can shoot up between the floor system and the adjacent brick/concrete wall.

My reason for cantilevering plywood would be to minimize this gap. A 6" expansion material runs about $100/LF accorinding to my contractor.

I don't think cantilevering the plywood a couple of inches is a huge deal, but I wanted to get some other thoughts on the matter...thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back