Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Car crash barrier design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill8123

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2011
AU
Hi All

I live on the low side of the street, downhill from a T intersection. The house is cut into the hill, the house is lower than the road. A concern we have is cars losing control around the corner and impacting our house causing injury. A concrete barrier at my boundary isn’t feasible due to the slope of the ground (inadequate footing) and council don’t want to install a barrier. We have room for a double garage between the road and the house. I’m thinking about building a sacrificial steel reinforced solid concrete walled double garage to prevent injuries against a run away car. Please see attached. I have two questions:

1. Do you think this concept could be adequate to bring a 3000kg car traveling at 60km/hr to rest prior to hitting the house?
2. Any ideas on how to calculate the impact loads or could a g factor be used??

Any input is much appreciated

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f6fb1974-5d1f-42e9-bbcf-0011eb9c87e0&file=2.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I still think the water barrels are the safest option.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

ax1e,

I agree, if nobody objects to the view.

I think the planter idea makes the most sense to absorb the brunt of the impact - and it won't look stupid. Secondarily, construct the leading garage wall out of reinforced 12" CMU or concrete. That, and your belongings, outta stop any thing within reason.

A planter is a good idea. Masonry walls and a big lump of soil could absorb a fair whack.

What? Don't tell me you don't like irridescent orange with white reflector trim? Fine. A couple of pots of ivy set on top of the water barrels and they will look just great all year long. You can get as clever as you want with the camouflage design. A few of those fake plastic Christmas trees in front might do the trick. Provide the locals with a grafiti canvas. With a little bit of forethought I'm sure you can blend them into any local environment you wish. Paint your favorite beer logos on them.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back