Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Car park deck loads 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsOnlyMud

Geotechnical
Jan 22, 2009
GB
Hi, Geotechnical engineer looking at FNDs for single deck of car park, what sort of column loads could be expected for say 9m spans? The client is adding a raised car park deck to provide additional parking, so it's only one deck that will be supported.

Also, what sort of differential settlements are acceptable?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All the loads that will act on the structure. Use load combinations as per code and make a structural analysis to determine how much load will be carried by your columns. There are lots of loads to consider so please consult a structural engineer.

Thanks, I was hoping someone has experience in designing these things and could give me a ball park figure. KPa for the deck area would be fine, I could turn that into column loads based on the span...

I'm a geotechnical engineer not a structural engineer!

Thanks for your help. I'm not actually trying to calculate the exact design loads, just trying to get an idea, 1kPa, 5kPa, 10kPa, etc. What I'm trying to second guess is whether the columns can be supported on pads, or will they need piling. Being a geotech, I have no real idea how much a car park weighs, but I do know what the ground will take.

C4.8.3
"...vehicles, however, a design load of 40 psf is recommended
with no allowance for reduction according to bay area."

ASCE 7-05

Light vehicles (≤ 25 kN gross vehicle weight) = 2kN/m2 or 15kN

Medium vehicles (> 25 kN, ≤ 160 kN gross vehicle weight) = 5 kN/m2 or 90kN

ItsOnlyMud,
Just use 10kPa as a total of DL + LL. That gives an ample allowance for what you don't know, which is how heavy the structure will be. Probably less, but that is a good enough ball park figure for what you need at this stage.

Have tried and tried and tried...us Geotechnical engineers are bottom of the food chain, the STR guys don't think it's worth their time and effort to tell us things like loads, levels, settlement tolerances and all the other useful stuff that makes our reports a whole lot more relevant to their project and give much better value. Lucky to get a proposed layout dwg half the time!

well, if thats the case, state your assumptions, and bitch to your client. unless your working for the structural engineer, a owner usually can make stuff happen when he waves the project in front of someone.

That is an irresponsible attitude on the part of the structural engineer. Your question about anticipated loading is entirely appropriate and standard practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back