Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Car parking Risk Category

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamed Maher

Structural
Dec 31, 2017
AE
Hi all

I have one car parking shade need to be designed. And I'm thinking which risk category for cat parking I can select to minmize the loads for wond load ..my code is asce 7-10.kindly advise.

Thanks and Best regards
Mohamed Maher

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arch-design-car-parking-shade_xynus3.jpg

Assuming you're talking about a structure like this (lightweight fabric or metal awning, usually a cantilever or portal frame structure like a carport), I agree, risk category I.

This has been a battle in my state for years, some say Risk Category II, others I. The question is, what is the likely hood that during a design event (storm with winds) that people will seek shelter under said structure. In my experience it's quite likely and therefore should be a II structure. Also note that some jurisdictions dictate which category these structures fall under, so why not ask the building official.

Mohamed Maher said:
What you mean by building official

In the US, codes only become law when they are adopted by the local jurisdictions. Those local jurisdictions then also have a person(s) that both interpret and enforce the adopted code - they are referred to as a building official.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back