Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CAR SHOWROOM MODEL CHECKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc25

Structural
Sep 10, 2013
SA
kindly please someone check my sample work of my design as a starter, if there something that i miss or my model is not right. this is my first model in ETABS although it is only a practice. i really do appreciate your response guys. thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello there,

I open and take a look on your model.
I have two questions:
1. Do you have a reson to not make the restraints (for the column base) blocked on UX,UY,UZ,RX,RY and RZ?
(I notice you use only blocked UX,UY,UZ). From what I know it is mau better for structure to block all.
2. On the continuation of the idea it is better for structure to be jointed at the roof level, not recessed.
With this you will obtain less moment force and better response for the structure, also you can reduce the size
of the section of elements.

I notice the structure it is on seismic area, I work as well on seismic area but with Eurocodes 8 for this reason I
assume the input and the Load case are define correct for your seismic codes, also the Load Combination.
Looks much more easy on you code, we define in other whey and take different the seismic load and masses.

This are my comment for the moment. Hope are good information.

P.S.: I'm not an expert but this is what I know from the books, please if somebody have an different opinion
can comment free.

Hello again,
I descover two major errors when the model was created.
For this reason when you run the model uploaded obtain some wrong values for the building period on Modal 1 case.
(also the other results can be affected).

1. The diagonal on the top at level 9.85 something is not correct you must erase them and creating again.
Diagonal from the top of columns (A1-B2 and B1-A2) L120x120x5. BE CAREFUL OF THE POINTS FROM WHERE THEY START AND FINISH.

2. At the top of the column from Grid A and Grid 15 (right bottom corner) the diagonal label B4 (L120x120x5) and the lets say the beam label B2 (SF1-HEA400) are not at the correct level they are on the air not connected with the column top.
You can use here the Reshape Object command to adjust them to correct position.

Other observation if you like general one how do you intend to take the seismic loads?
Usual must be an vertical portal (vertical bracing) to take the seismic loads on each directions ( X and Y ).

Hope it helps you.

P.S.: After you do the modifications ou can upload again the model and I will check it again to see what is happens.

inggelu sorry for late reply...anyway thank you for checking my model and the comment which it really help me alot. i remodel again the structure using ETABS 2013 and apply all of your comments into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back