Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon Bed Void Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windstorm

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2005
US
I have a client that would like to take a 60" ID Rich Amine Carbon Filter 150"T/T Vertical vessel designed for 200 psig at 350F and fill the vessel with carbon from the bottom head to the top tangent. However, we typically leave a 20% void area at the top for backwash/regeneration/ etc.

The question is: "Does anyone know if there is any literature that states leaving a void at the top of a carbon bed is stanard/required/recommend due to... If so would you point me in the right direction?"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Twenty percent of 150 inches is 30. A typical 60 inch torispherical head (i.e., the top head) would not afford 30 inches of vertical rise or freeboard or void. The freeboard volume requirement will depend upon the specific cleaning and maintenance requirements for the carbon media that is selected and the design of the contactor's process piping (internal and external) and valving configuration.

I suggest that your client seek the assistance of a professional engineer with experience in the design of carbon contactors. There are many factors to consider when attempting a retrofit like this. You won't find all the answers that you will eventually need to know in literature, data sheets, or Googling, because they depend, in large part, on the design of the equipment that already exists. One size might not fit all.

S. Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back