Carbon Equivalent of A105N Flange 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinhtd5591

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2023
VN
Dear all,

As required by my client's specification, carbon content should be 0.23% max. and carbon equivalent is 0.42% max. (ladle) but unfortunately my vendor can guarantee the carbon content only (0.23%) and for CE will be 0.43%(Higher than our requirement). Now they are asking for a deviation for this CE difference.

I was wondering that is there any chance that Client will accept this deviation ? Or I have to look for another vendor which can comply with CE requirement ?

Anybody has more experience on this subject ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's the craziest requirement I have ever seen. A .23% max carbon and .42 max CE yes. An actual .23% C and actual .42% CE is virtually impossible to achieve by any manufacturer. Have you read the spec requirements wrong?

A .23% max carbon and 42CE is certainly not impossible. Our standard WCC/WCB and LCC/LCB would meet it. We had a customer that required a plain carbon steel with 85/55ksi tensile and these requirements for light rail. The customer was concerned about weldability. Some of the parts made up the truck frame and were welded all along the perimeter. Prior to that spec the same customer had a spec with a .40 max CE. Keep the carbon low and run some extra Mn and maybe Mo depending on the requirements.

We would occasionally see a similar requirement when dealing with valves requiring NACE compliance. I doubt that your customer is going to accept the 43CE.

Bob

Millions thank to you all support. I will try to ask client by provide them IC004, from IOGP S-563 to demonstrate a standard requirement of CEV 0.43.

If that doesn’t work, try the schedule card: we can’t get any compliant material to meet the schedule (really meaning, the non compliant material is the cheapest, and so we haven’t looked at anything else).

Works nearly every time.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Are there any other CE 'calculations' that I haven't included in the Excel spreadsheet?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back