Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon Fibre Tube 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclearnigit100

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2010
GB
HI

I am looking for information on how to make carbon fibre tube dimensionally accurate using a mandrel, any soloutions most welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Brian

I want to make a short tube 2" diameter by 6" long with an internal thread 1" long in either end. I would like to make it in one set up, I shall try fiament winding. Thanks

Thanks B.E.

Had a look at toolmaking sites really good, probablly expensive?

Mike, I wouldnt mind trying a wax mandrel do you think that wax would give thread detail (bluecomp) if I were to filament wind it? What type of wax would you suggest for this aplication?

The first wax that comes to mind is ordinary canning paraffin. I have used it with good results for making frp elbows by wrapping a handmade mandrel with wet cloth and compressing the laminate with Saran(r) wrap.

The second is, literally, a candle. I have cast frp parts in hand-hewn cavities, again with good results.

The third, and probably best choice, is the machinable wax that's sold to prove out CNC programs. It takes detail like thread nicely, and is available in a useful range of sizes and shapes, including blocks larger than the average candle or paraffin block.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

mclearnigit100
The other thing you can do is, if you are prepared to accept a smaller inside tube diameter than the root of the threads, is to make the mold in 3 pieces, the two threaded ends and the center piece. Use bolts to hold on the threaded ends and make sure they have a good spanner flat outside the molded area.
When the molding is done, remove the threaded ends by unscrewing them. Then push out the center part with an arbor press. Make sure you use a good mold release.
Good luck.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back