Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon steel pipe - Is corrosion an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamvalve222

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2020
DK
Hello,

I have designed CLOSED cooling system using carbon steel pipes. The water used is treated and clean.
A corrosion allowance of 1 mm have been added. In addition the pH is controlled (to 9-10) using Natrium hydroxide.

My colleague has used stainless pipes before, but I insist on carbon steel.

Should I be worried about corrosion?

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Treated" with what?

If you add some corrosion inhibitor then in a closed system without access to a re supply of Oxygen Carbon steel should be OK.

You should probably introduce a magnetic filter to pick up the black gunge which might develop.

You always need to be concerned about corrosion, but not overly worried.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Water treatment and a strainer are a good idea.
In my house, we have carbon steel piping from a thermosyphoning water system that's 115 years old and it is fine.

Add de-aerators to get most air out. I prefer the ones combined into a dirt-separator.
Hopefully you don't have leaks, but you typically have fill valves that add new water with oxygen.

Typically you have annual testing and pH buffer and corrosion inhibitors are added in a pot-feeder

Almost every HVAC closed chilled water system out there is carbon steel. Most open ones are too, at least on larger piping where copper or other material is not practical. Get a water treatment company on board. You'll be fine.

The German engineering council has produced a set of guidances (e.g. VDI2035) for chemical free treatment of closed water systems for heating, cooling and district networks made of carbon steel pipes. Worth a read!

Stainless steel is a poor choice. Internally, there is no benefit over carbon steel with properly treated water. Externally, insulation prevents the stainless steel from forming its passive oxide layer and will accelerate corrosion. Copper alloys would be a superior choice IF corrosion resistance is required.

The vast bulk of any corrosion issue in these systems is directly related to make-up water. The dissolved oxygen carried by that water is the killer. Keep the system tight and the make-up water supply manually valved out. That way you know exactly when any make-up is added. Fix any leaks promptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back