Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Advice for Progaram Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhavikmech

Mechanical
May 10, 2005
US
Hi All,
I am novice in this field. I am working as a Production Contorl planner and assisting Program Managers in th field of Aerospace Component mfg industry.I want to be a GOOD program manager. What I have found that in my company most of the program Manager has no management certifications but they are promotted after long engineering field experiance.

I need advise from u to be a successful program Manager...

Thanks.

-- BJ (Mechanical)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many strange concepts with program managers in different companies.

In one of our partner companies program managers coordinate project managers and are higher in formal rank, but none of actual program managers ever worked as project manager! They come from administrative or logistic department and actually work as office support for project managers.

And guess what - all senior project managers are better paid then program managers!

In other company I know position of program manager is clearly considered as strategic business function and does little to do with actual engineering and project management below the one-year horizon.

So, if you plan to improve yourself in engineering, I beleive your target should be independent engineer or project manager!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back