Career Advice Needed 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocker24

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2007
US
Hey All,

I got my undergraduate degree last June(06) and currently getting my masters by taking night classes while working part-time at a very small engineering firm. I'm making 12/hr working about 30 hrs/wk with no benefits. I've learned a lot working under a PE for the past several months and have a feeling that I can learn a lot more in the next several months. To sum it up, I'm really enjoying the experience.

I have recently asked about full time opportunities(engineering pay with benefits) within the company, but has been told that they can't afford another full time, but would like me to continue as part time. I have thoughts about working there as a part time until I finish graduate school (which is about 2 years from now), but was wondering if that is the right thing to do.

Should I stick with it until graduation for the valuable experience? or look for a full time job somewhere else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you're US based, $12/hr sounds kind of low, especially if you're doing genuine engineering rather than just 'CAD Jockey' or similar 'menial' work. May vary by location though.

If you can find a better paying job with benefits which would give you (what you perceive to be) equally good experience and still give you the time to study etc then you should probably go for it. Sounds like they may be using you as cheap labor.

However, if you're OK financially OK and really enjoying it you may be as well of staying. There's no guarantee you'll be as happy at a different place and job satisfaction is important.

Also 'job security' is an increasingly rare thing so don't assume full time + benefits means this.

Just my thoughts.

$12/hr seems extremely low to me with a BSME degree. I'm guessing they sort of have you cornered though because if your around a university there is a large part time workforce that they can pull from. I would look to see what other opportunity's are available and compare them with your current position. Then talk with your supervisor and see if there is any flexibility in the pay.

You are not going to burn bridges if you find another job. It is not like they pay you enough with benefit. No hard feeling if you leave them because you did ask for a full time position. If I were on your position, I would suck it up for 6 months and then actively look for a better position.

At such a low rate, you can pull off a full time position AND a raise. Go and get an offer from somewhere else as full time, and you'll see how quick they will change their minds about hiring a full time right away.

In your shoes, I'd go get another position somewhere else that deals with different kind of projects, you get to see different ways of doing things under different leadership, and you get more networking out of it, this is all training for you anyway, might as well get the most of it.

AND, pleeeease, don't worry about hurting the boss' feelings? as the mafia would say: "it's nothing personnal, it's strictly business".

Best.

12/hr seems low, even for part time work if you have a BSME. I'm assuming your degree is a BSME and not a tech type degree. You mentioned that you really like the experience. Its all a matter of how much the experience is worth to YOU. Knowledge is worth $$$$, but only if the hiring party KNOWS that you have the knowledge. To sum it up....how does this job look on your resume?

Rocker24,

I would say that the experience you will gain will be of value to you when you graduate with your Masters, but I would make sure that the two complement each other (Masters and exp.). There is no point having experience in a field that will not enhance your future job prospects.

If the rate you are getting (12$/hr) is worrying you, then talk to a recruitment agent and see what they think....

My 2 cents worth (on your rate, that's 6 seconds)

Kevin Hammond

Mechanical Design Engineer
Derbyshire, UK

Although $12/hour would not support a person's living expenses, you are a student after all. If you are happy and learning a lot, stick it out until you graduate, if you can. If a significant offer doesn't surface from that company after graduation, then they knew you would be moving on anyway, and are making the decision easy for you.

You will have no problem getting work at decent pay with several years of experience with the same company and a Masters' degree. Enjoy your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back